Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Happiness and Motherhood 3

In Buddhism, we ought to be a light for ourselves, yet we are surrounded by well-meaning advice and judgement 24/7. How can we maintain a sense of serenity and happiness with so much input bombarding us about our children and about motherhood?
Secret #3
It is compassionate to acknowledge well-meaning input, and it is wise to examine our lives in regards to it. Yet if happiness is on our mind, we must not give our context too much power. Everybody has an agenda. Nobody knows that much. When my first child was born, a well-meaning nurse wanted me to wake up my exhausted baby as if feeding my daughter immediately after birth was a biological necessity. I knew what my daughter needed. I still do. If mothers wish to be happy, they must not be flustered too easily. We cannot listen to all well-meaning advice. We must listen to our own light. The noise of others should not penetrate our steadfast hearts and minds.