Saturday, April 11, 2009

Being Driven and Becoming Happy

Happiness is a lot of work no matter the circumstances under which we grow up. Happiness is always within our potential, although bringing it out and living it requires tremendous dedication. To a certain degree we must become driven to learn the skills it takes to allow for happiness and to unlearn automatic behaviors that stand in the way of happiness.

When I realized that my circumstances were less than favorable and even detrimental to happiness, I on occasion would panic. I questioned whether happiness was in my cards and feared a life of mediocrity. I am grateful for my past moments of panic. I could not have overcome any monumental obstacles without them. In my opinion, pop-culture too readily reassures people not to worry about circumstances and that everything can be overcome easily. I too believe that we can overcome just about anything, but only if we dedicate ourselves to this task.

If you have suffered a great deal growing up and were deprived of much, do yourself a favor and let the quest for happiness occasionally overwhelm and motivate you.

Being driven has gotten a bad reputation as we learn from Eastern thought. While any exaggerated notion can become a bad habit that stands in the way of happiness, occasional bursts of energy can be quite beneficial. They can be bundled, directed and utilized. Being driven can be good as long as we maintain awareness of being driven, enjoy the ride, and feel that we can stop it anytime we want.